Oklahoma Highway Safety offer tips for cyclists on the road
Posted on Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 at 8:54 pm
The Oklahoma Highway Safety Office gave some advice for bicycle riders to keep them safe while sharing the road with other vehicles. Cycling program manager, Samantha Harcrow, offered the following safety tips as she noted vehicle drivers seldom encounter bikers on the road.
- Bikers should know that vehicle drivers may not see them on sloping road or crossways
- Make sure to be highly visible when riding bike on the road
- Learn how to bike defensively
- Ride a bike in groups to increase visibility
- Maintain a straight line when biking
- Avoid using earphones/noise cancellers of any sort
According to Harcrow, the number of bike accidents in the state has been consistent since 1997, noting about four to six bikers are killed in Oklahoma every year. The state of Oklahoma provides facilities and road signs to help keep bikers and pedestrians safe.
Though the above-mentioned advice is helpful to be safe when biking on the road, there are times that bikers suffer from injuries when vehicle drivers become reckless behind the wheel. If this happens to you or to a loved one in Oklahoma, an attorney of the Abel Law Firm may offer you legal assistance to possibly get your compensation needed for recovery. Call us today at (405) 239-7046 to learn more about your options.